Imagine racing in the desert on a Quad bike with your partner holding on behind. Or cruising up a beach around Cape York in a Quad Bike with your fishing gear… too fast for the local 4 legged crocs! Up until now there were limitations of what could be carried on a Kimberley off road camper trailer. With a nominal weight of 350kgs on top and with dual water tanks of 190L plus Jerry cans of 40L for the bike, this model is carrying 550kgs before we add personal goods. However, the 2016 Kimberley Limited Edition and Platinum Models can have this option because of these unique features:
- The air suspension allows the trailer to be dropped down to the lowest height while the Quad Bike is loaded from behind.
- The loader is simply folded over to the drivers side after the bike is unloaded, so the camper trailer can be opened in seconds.
- Simply push the loader back on top, secure the side supports, place the loading ramps in position and load the Quad Bike. It should take only a few minutes.
- If you’re not wanting the Quad Bike for a weekend trip away, then simply remove the loader in minutes.
- Once the Quad Bike is loaded, adjust the air suspension to the height you need in seconds with the 2 paddle valves. Set this so it is level and square to the road… perfect levelling!
The Engineering Challenge for the Quad Bike carrier
The engineering challenge of carrying a “dead load” of 550kgs with such a light tare load of 1100kgs is similar to large transport trailers: you HAVE to have air suspension. With air suspension, you adjust the height for the load without increasing the spring rate of the tuned suspension. However, with such a load there are safety issues unless:
- the off road suspension design needs anti-sway bars fitted so that when the air suspension is raised, there is safety on cornering. This is an absolute must.
- the off road suspension design must be based on independent suspension to maintain the variable air suspension spring rate. Adding air springs to leaf suspension would increase the height but stiffen the suspension beyond design limits.
- The chassis has to be designed to handle an ATM of 2,000 kgs. The existing chassis does this and the independent suspension on the Limited Edition and Platinum models is certified within this rating. This design is based on the same independent suspension on the Kimberley Karavan models which operate with a higher load. The chassis and suspension will be attract the Kimberley 5 year transferrable warranty.
- The brakes MUST be electronic assisted disc brakes for such a high load. Drum electric brake performance would not meet the Australian design rules.
What are the dimensions and size of the Quad Bike? We have used a Polaris 600 as a nominal size and weight. This is 350kgs with fuel and the position of it is shown below in the drawing.
The loading angle would be reduced when the air suspension is lowered to the ground. However, this is based on 31.5 inch tyres and if larger 33 inch or 35 inch tyres are used, the increase in the tyre height offsets the reducing in the air suspension height.
Export to China with “Meng Shou” Awning
There is an exciting market in China for carrying off road ATV’s (we call them Quad Bikes) as well as taking your camping trailer with you. There is no other product that we know of globally that will allow you to carry this weight together with a fully equipped off road camper trailer.
However, for the China market, we need a large awning with docked bedroom tents. There is a new designed awning that will be based on the large Bedouin awning. This is large enough for 10-12 people to sit under and share a meal cooked on one or all of the outdoor cookers in the Kimberley Master kitchen.
The new Awning is called “Meng Shou” which translates as “monster” in Chinese. It allows you to “dock” 2 additional bedrooms on the side. This brings the sleeping capacity to a Super Queen in the trailer, a double or 2 singles in the attached bedroom (with insulated floor) and 2 additional bedrooms that will sleep 2-3 each. That totals around 12 people.
The first units are shipping to China in a few weeks in time for the great ATV race in the desert.
Is this available as a retrofit on older model Kimberley Kampers?
Unfortunately it isn’t. It is only available as an option for 2015 Model Limited Edition and Platinum Models from August 1st. This is a major model change for the 2016 Model line up which follows soon. There are changes to the chassis and the loader supports that can’t be added to in older models. Pricing will be published with Dealers on this date.
What other technology still provided in these models?
These models still have:
- Diesel space heater or air heater
- Diesel hot water
- Integrated 180W solar in the tropical roof option
- Weber BBQ and additional storage
- Plus the smart touch display and all the electrical options
Follow our blog for images and news of how we get on in the Great China 2015 Rally!