The saying “horses for courses” is well understood when travelling. Everyone has different preferences and habits, some of which are sacrosanct. One of these is sleeping in air-conditioned space, cool as a cucumber! Now if you love camper trailers and the way they embrace the bush as your living room, sleeping in airconditioned canvas may have seemed like a tough request. However, at Kimberley we have built a superb airconditioning pak that should meet your needs.
We have built air-conditioned camper trailers before but found there were several problems that had to be overcome for the perfect solution.
- It had to be a split system so that the condensor and compressor can be located as far away as possible
- The evaporator part of the split system had to be “inside” the airconditioned space to re-circulate the cool air.
- There had to be a drain for the condensate from the evaporator
- The air had to be able to be directed toward the roof so that it would comfortable fall toward the bed at low fan speed
- It had to have a quiet fan
- It had to have controls that were easily accessible by either person when sleeping
- It had to be greater than 2kW of cooling capacity!
The Kimberley air-conditioning solution involves:
- changing the shape of the tent body can be easily expanded over the permanently mounted airconditioning eveaporator when you need it!
- placing the condensor and compressor inside the Gullwing pack, out of the way
- permanently installing the wiring so that the generator plugs into the normal 240V outside outlet to power the air-conditioning.
- reach back and adjust bthe temperature or fan speed
- Have adjustable guides to direct the airflow as you wish
- is incredibly economical as the cooled air is recirculated.
The air flows at a maximum of 110 litres per second. Thats a lot of air circulating!
As a guide for how effective it is we suggest this scenarion:
- Outside temperature is 38 degrees and high humidity
- You have the tropical roof deployed on the Kimberley
- You have the doors zipped up and 90% of the windows.
- The fan based heat extraction fan is running in the roof
Then you should achive an inside temperature 10 degrees below the ambient. So in this case it would be 28 degrees BUT the air is very dry and therefore more comfortable.
This kit includes:
- Air Handler Unit with adjustable air direction and full temperature and power control – reach through from bed for easy adjustment. Zippered cover protects Air Handler when traveling.
- Condenser Unit – Isolated from Air Handler. Located in right side of Delta Gullwing Box. Delta box door can be held down and slightly open to allow air flow but remain protected from the weather and help with noise suppression.
- Extended Tent Air Section – this is integrated into the front wall and attaches to Airconditioning unit with velcro, zippered section. If you don’t require the airconditioner, you can zipper this section back to the front wall and use window as normal for airflow – the rest of the time it travels folded up with the tent body inside the camper trailer.
The 2 photos below show the unit when not in use on the left and then when in use on the right.
We have added a deflector shield for the split unit located on top of the Gullwing Pak to improve the aerodynamics when driving!
Q: Can i operate this on the on-board inverter?
A: We have designed the same unit to run off the Lithium Batteries in the Kimberley Eco-suite and Kimberley kruiser. A total of 480 Ahrs of Lithium Battery capacity is needed with a large 2700W auto-cutover inverter. This is all too bulky for the camper trailer sowe have not included it as an option. It is also a lot of expense.
Q: Will it cool down the second bedroom that is zipped onto the rear?
A: The fan can be turned up high and wuill certainly blow air into the second bedroom. It is located above where you sleep so the higher fan speed will be noisier. An alternative is to locate a second 12V fan in the second bedroom blowing air drom the airconditioned camper trailer tent into the second bedroom.